All of us enjoy the summer for different reasons. Some enjoy the ocean, others the sun, the heat, playing outside. But whether you like the feeling of sand under your feet or not, there are a couple things that we will all agree are undoubtedly a reason to smile and enjoy the hot summer days even more. That is nothing else than watermelon and of course, iced tea!
Who can imagine their summer without a slice of sweet, cold watermelon and a tall glass of iced tea by the pool? In this post, I have a great recipe to share that combines both!
Watermelon iced tea is the ultimate drink for the summer! It’s sweet, cool, refreshing, nutritious, energizing. In other words, the perfect pick-me-up for any day, anytime! This recipe is unbelievably simple and the ingredients are very easy to find.
We used honey but if you are a vegan you can can simply use the sweetener of your choice. Your family and guests will love it!
(for 4 servings)
- 6 cups of water
- 4 tsp black tea leaves (or 4 teabags)
- 2 tbsp honey
- 6 cups chopped watermelon (seeded)
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 2 limes
- Bring your water to a boil. Remove from heat, add your tea and let steep for 5 minutes.
- Add honey and stir up.
- Add your basil leaves and let aside to cool down. Once it reaches room temperature, put your tea in a glass pitcher and refrigerate.
- While waiting for your tea to get cold, puree your watermelon in a blender.
- Using a strainer, run the watermelon puree over a bowl while pressing with a spoon to extract as much juice as possible. Discard the pulp.
- Take your tea out of the refrigerator and discard the basil leaves.
- Pour your tea in your watermelon juice and squeeze some fresh lime juice in it.
- Serve over ice and garnish with fresh basil leaves and lime slices.
Original recipe and photo: TheCandidAppetite