One beverage that everyone should have in their live at least once is a chai latte. This drink, a powerful blend of tea and spices has been consumed for centuries in India not only to quench thirst and for enjoyment but also to promote health and peace of mind. Chai tea has numerous health properties to offer. Traditionally it is prepared with black tea and a number of spices. Unfortunately not all of us can tolerate caffeine which is found in rather big concentrations in black tea. There is no need to worry though.
For all of you that are caffeine-sensitive, I have an alternative recipe to suggest. This chai latte is made with peppermint tea (which is naturally caffeine free) instead of black tea. Many purists would argue that this is a chai tea but it’s a great alternative to the original drink and will not cause any stomach irritations or other caffeine side effects. The peppermint will refresh and invigorate you while the spices will offer the chai’s warm and spicy feeling.
I promise, you will love it!
- 4 cups water
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 6 cloves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger or 1 teaspoon dried chopped ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 teaspoons dried peppermint leaves or 4 peppermint teabags
- 1 teaspoon cardamom pod
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
- soy milk
- honey, sugar or maple syrup to sweeten
- Crush your spices in a mortar and pestle.
- In a medium saucepan bring your water to a boil.
- Add the spices, cover and simmer for about 4 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add the peppermint tea. Cover your pan and let steep for 3 to 4 minutes.
- You can leave longer if you want your tea stronger.
- Strain into your cups.
- Add milk and Sweeten as you desire.
What do you think? Are you trying this? If you have any questions please leave your comment below..