Scones are the perfect dessert to accompany your afternoon tea! But how about scones made with green tea? Matcha powdered green tea is one of the healthiest beverages you can treat yourself. It’s packed with antioxidants and vitamins and has a load of health benefits to offer… But aside from that, matcha green tea is a great ingredient to use for coloring and flavoring desserts too!
You can bake anything you want and add some matcha to give your desserts a unique, smooth taste and the calming aroma of green tea. And of course some extra -essential for your body- nutrients!
This is a very simple recipe for scones made with matcha green tea! It’s really easy and you should all give it a try! I am sure you will love it!
Green tea scone recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3 tsp Matcha Green Tea powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold, unsalted butter
- 1 cup of regular milk (I use almond milk)
- 1 egg yolk
- 3/4 cup pecans or chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients (all-purpose flour, baking powder,sugar, matcha powder and salt)
- . Cut the butter in small pieces, add to the bowl and whisk really well.
- Add your milk and egg. Mix well using a big spoon until a your dough is soft.
- Add your pecans or chocolate chips
- Knead the dough on a surface that you have floured and pat or roll it until it is just 1 inch thick.
- Use a cookie cutter or knife to cut your dough in small triangle or round pieces. Then place them on a cookie sheet that you have lightly greased with some butter (I use coconut oil spray).
- Brush the tops of your scones with a bit of beaten egg.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes until the edges get a golden brown color. Remove from the oven and let them cool for a few minutes.
You can serve your scones with any kind of tea and some fruit jam! I usually love scones with black tea and some raspberry or strawberry jelly! I hope you try this soon!