A cup of warm herbal tea makes the perfect candidate for cold winter days. There are tons of herbal teas that are equally healthy and delicious but one tea you should have regularly have is fennel tea.
Fennel seeds have been used for thousands of years in traditional Chinese, Indian and Western medicines not only in cooking but for its medicinal properties too. They are rich in important compounds such as anethole, fenchone and estragole that are believed to be responsible for its antispasmodic, anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties.
Drinking fennel tea has tons of health benefits among which are: It can help reduce bloating and other digestive issues, speed up your metabolism and boost your immune system.
In this post, I am sharing with you a very easy recipe for a fennel tea to help you keep healthy, warm up and relax these cold days! For a more complex flavor and added antioxidants, I suggest using some black tea and cardamom but you could also use green tea or spices of your choice..
Fennel & Cardamom Tea
- 1 tea cup of water (filtered)
- 1 tsp fennel seeds (slightly crushed)
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 tsp darjeeling black tea (or black tea of your choice)
- cinnamon (optional)
- honey, agave or maple syrup to sweeten you can use as much as desired)
- Pour your water into a saucepan along with the fennel seeds and keep on medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Once at boiling point turn down the heat and let it simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the darjeeling and simmer for another 1-2 minutes then turn off the heat completely and let it steep for a minute.
- Strain your tea and pour into a mug or teacup.
- Add sweetener and a bit of cinnamon.
Ever had fennel tea before?