Spring is all about health! The longer, sunny days are perfect for boosting your vitamin D levels and the warm weather is just motivating you for a new, healthy start. Spring cleaning your diet during the spring months is a MUST! All that heavy eating and lack of activity during the winter can make you feel sluggish.
And what better way to detox your body than a delicious and nutritious smoothie! If you follow 1001 Tea Facts often you must be familiar with matcha green tea and the reasons why everyone should be obsessed with it! This powdered green tea is absolutely amazing for your health since it is rich in vitamins and antioxidants, even more than regular steeped green tea. You can enjoy it in so many ways, in the form of tea, in lattes and even in desserts! So why not add it to your favorite smoothies?
Check out these 5 delicious, healthy and totally easy to make matcha smoothies that will boost your energy any time of the day!
Note: For all of these I used my favorite matcha source cafe grade matcha green tea. I love the taste of it and use it for most of latte and dessert recipes. Give it a try, you will love the taste and fragrance it gives your recipes! I wouldn’t suggest you use a ceremony grade matcha simply because it is too expensive and I think it should be enjoyed plain.
Also, to make my smoothies, I like to use my Nutri-bullet Pro 900 Hi-Speed blender. It is truly amazing, making me the creamiest smoothies and it is so easy to clean!
#1 Coconut Vanilla Matcha Smoothie
(for 2 smoothies)
- 1 can light coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon matcha green tea
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 ½ tablespoons agave nectar (I used Hawaiian honey)
- ½ cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 cup frozen pineapple
- ½ ripe banana
- ½ cup ice
- Small pinch salt (optional)
- In a blender, blend all ingredients together on high-speed.
- You can stop to scrape down the sides, if necessary.
Recipe & Image: A Couple Cooks
#2 Orange Matcha Smoothie (gluten-free & vegan)
(for 2 small smoothies or 1 large)
- 1 cup coconut milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 1/4 cup raw cashews soaked for at least 4 hours, then drained and rinsed
- 2-4 teaspoons matcha green tea
- 1 large handful baby greens of your choice
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 soft Medjool dates, pitted
- 1 handful ice
- Add all of the ingredients to your high-speed blender. Placing the ice in last. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Serve immediately. (In the original recipe, the smoothie is topped with hemp seeds but I like to top mine with shredded coconut)
recipe & image: BLDG25
#3 Vanilla Chai Matcha Smoothie
- 2 ripe, frozen bananas
- 1-inch chunk fresh ginger, peeled
- 1 tbsp. almond butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. ground cloves
- ½ tsp. matcha green tea
- 1 cup unflavored almond or soy milk
- Place bananas and ginger in a blender and blend until smooth.
- You can stop to scrape down the sides of a pitcher as needed.
- Add remaining ingredients and blend again until smooth.
recipe & image: ConnoisseurusVEG
#4 Matcha Chocolate shake
(for 2 smoothies)
- 1 cup packed spinach
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 2 large frozen bananas
- 2 tsp. matcha green tea
- 2-3 Medjool dates, pitted
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp. raw cacao powder
- Blend everything except for the raw cacao powder in your blender until smooth.
- Pour out half and set aside.
- Blend the remaining half with the raw cacao powder.
- In a jar, layer up your smoothie, alternating between the matcha shake and matcha-chocolate shake.
- Top with nibs, shredded coconut, chia seeds, or whatever you like.
#5 Vegan Matcha Ginger Smoothie
(for 1-2 smoothies)
- ½ an avocado
- 1 apple
- 1 teaspoon of matcha green tea
- 1-2 cups of almond milk
- ½” piece of ginger peeled
- a handful of fresh spinach leaves
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- A few ice cubes
- Slice your avocado, ginger, and apple
- Throw the apple and ginger slices, the kale, the lemon juice, and the Matcha tea into a high-powered blender (I use the Vitamix) and blend on high until the kale leaves are well liquified.
- If you prefer your smoothie cold you can add in a couple of ice cubes
- Then add your avocado and 1 cup of almond milk and blend until smooth. If your smoothie looks too thick, you can add your second cup of almond milk.
- Pour into your glass and pour some nutmeg
Are you making any matcha smoothies this season?? Feel free to share your favorite matcha smoothie recipe!